Public Records request
The Right to Request Public Agency Records
What is a Public Record?
The Florida Public Records Chapter 119 is designed to give the public access to records in the possession of public agencies.
What is a Public Records Request?
A public records request is a request to either inspect or copy or both, public records pursuant to Chapter 119, Florida Statutes and Article I, Section 24 of the State Constitution. There is no requirement that the request be made in person or in writing, or be in any particular form.
The person making the request is not required to identify himself/herself, or to provide information about the reason for the request or how the records will be used. The request must be clear enough to enable the Consolidated Dispatch Agency (CDA) to conduct a meaningful search.
The CDA may ask questions about the request in order to respond to the request fully and in a timely manner. The CDA acknowledges that access to information is a fundamental and necessary right of every citizen of Tallahassee.
Where can I request public records?
If you are requesting a record pertaining to a specific incident or occurrence, the responding agency will be the Record Custodian. Requests for public records may be submitted to one of the following:
- Tallahassee Police Department — Contact (850) 891-4221 or click here.
- Tallahassee Fire Department — Contact (850) 891-8130
- Leon County Emergency Medical Services — Contact (850) 606-2100
- Leon County Sheriff Office — Contact (850) 606-3300 or click here.
- 9-1-1 Calls — Contact (850) 606-3700
Please note the CDA does not maintain records for any of the above Agencies.
Reports available from the CDA upon request include the following:
- Recruitment and Retention Report
- Community Engagement Report
- Leon County Call Volume Report
- Agency Liability Report
- Annual Report
For Tallahassee Leon County Consolidated Dispatch Agency requests:
- Online CDA Public Records Request Form
- By phone at (850) 606-5857
- In person at 9-1-1 Easterwood Drive
For any further details of questions pertaining to Public Records Requests, please contact (850) 606-5857.